Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Workin' Calves

It happens every winter.  I've always enjoyed watching.  I'm obviously no help.  Truthfully, I'm probably in the way.  It's not always pretty and sometimes the words you hear are not very...shall I say...appropriate.  Occasionally, someone is hurt.  Occasionally, a fence is jumped.  Usually there are snacks...this year, donuts and pop.  I don't know what it is, I just love being there when Dad has the vet come work calves.  I have always loved being a 'farm-girl.'  I love that my Dad lets me 'pretend' like I know what I'm doing or talking about.  I clearly don't.  I love the smell of cow manure.  I love to watch the steam rise from the backs of cattle on cold mornings.  I love having 'farm-boots.' I am proud to be a Farmer's Daughter.  I honestly want nothing more in life than to be a mother and farm-wife.  I would be perfectly content helping Ryan farm and raise cattle just like my Grandma Mary helped Grandpa Harold for years and years...However, I love living in town.  I have to see people.  I need to see people or I go a little crazy. But, I love spending time out at the farm.

 

Preparing the chute.

They have no idea what is in store for them...they just think my Dad is being nice giving them an extra snack this cold winter afternoon.

Dad and Ryan were the sorters.  This is a perfect job for you if you like having your feet stepped on by 600 pound animals, or if you like being pinned between gates and the 600 pound animals.

Dig was getting tired and DD made sure I took her to watch after school.

 Uncle Shawn does most of the work.  He gives injections and applies the Pour-On. Dr. Steckleburg does the 'underneath' stuff! 


 Someone's not too happy...He's getting "banded," (a nice way of castrating, use your imagination what gets banded) ear tags if they are being kept, Green Tagged meaning they were properly vaccinated and can be sold at a sale barn, Pour-On for bugs, Wormer and implanted with hormones under the skin of the ear...I'm probably forgetting something, but I think Dad will be pretty proud I caught as much as I did! 

Us Balvanzes can always find something to celebrate and a reason to go out to eat.  So the next night we Luikens headed to Conrad to eat at That Place with Shawn and Kelly and Mom and  Dad to celebrate the completion of Workin' Calves!

2 comments:

Renee said...

Wow! I missed a lot while I was gone. Loved your posts this week. We also roll over the top :) and I change the roll, too, no matter where I am!

The Perrys said...

This post is tugging at my heart strings! I love everything about working cattle. I've had my feet stepped on so many times I couldn't even begin to estimate. I think we are 'farm sisters.'