Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Mom of the Year Award

I will not be the recipient. 

It all happened on Dig's birthday.  It was Wednesday, Lane doesn't have school on Wednesdays.  Once a month South Hardin Schools let out early on Wednesdays for Teacher In-Services.  I knew this.  I even knew what time Drue was going to be let out.  1:55.  It said so, right on the purple weekly calendar Mrs. Bronzynski sent home. 

That morning Lane and I were busy making frosted cookies for his birthday snack for AWANA.  Ok, he was busy playing with new toys the UPS man delivered to him from Uncle Steve, I was busy making cookies.  We went to Mom and Dad's for lunch and birthday cupcakes.  I stayed around talking to Dad, all the time knowing I'd need to get Drue in a little bit.  I usually set the alarm on my phone to make sure I leave on time.  Today, however, my phone was dead so I left it in the car charging.

1:15 the phone rings.  Dad answered, "oh geesh!" and hands me the phone. It was Ryan.

"Do you know your daughter is the last one at school.  Did you forget she gets out early?  They've been calling you and left a message at home and finally got a hold of me in Algona!"

I explained that, yes, infact, I did know she gets out at 1:55.  The calendar said so!  He corrected me and said they got out at 12:55.  Lane and I walked to Mom & Dad's so I hung up the phone, yelled that I'd be back to get Dig.  I guess my brother told my dad, "the school better hope the calendar said 12:55 or they're going to have one mad mom on their hands!"  He knows his sister! 

I ran across the yards to our house, jumped in the car and drove way too fast to get to my baby.  I envisioned lots of tears and anger towards her momma...she'd been waiting for me for TWENTY minutes, which to a 6 year-old is all the time in the world!

I ran in the school, scanned the office, asked the nurse, since I guess she is who called.  She told me Drue was down in her classroom with Mrs. B.  I ran down the stairs and was met in the hall by Mrs. B and DD.  I apologized saying, I must have read the calendar wrong, blah, blah, blah.  My adrenaline was pumping away, I was so sad that I had messed up and let Drue down.

Then Mrs. B. told me it was actually her fault. 

Thank goodness!  I was feeling like a terrible mom!

Evidently, Mrs. B copied the weekly calendar on purple paper and passed them out to the kids.  Somehow, she realized there was a mistake on it and made new calendars with the correct dismissal time on GREEN paper.  She said there were a few girls that thought they liked the purple paper better and didn't 'trade' for the new, correct green one.  Drue wasn't the only one.  At least one other girl had to wait for her mom to get her also.  Mrs. Bronzynski let the two of them draw rainbows on the white board and gave Drue hugs to ease her nervousness. Drue had cried a little when she ran outside and realized I wasn't there. Then she waited outside for me, which she usually doesn't have to do.  I'm always waiting in line for her at least 15 minutes before school dismisses and she is ALWAYS the first kid (other than those who ride a bus) out of the building...never fails! 

Mrs. B. made sure it was not a scary situation and Drue actually enjoyed her alone time with her teacher....but I couldn't stop apologizing!  Drue finally said, "Mom!  It was really a mistake.  I know you're sorry!"

Mom of the Year Award?  Maybe next year. 

No comments: