Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ok, NOW it's cold!!

I said brrrrr last post...I was wrong...it's FREEZING now! Ryan's cow waterer was frozen this morning and it hasn't frozen in all the 5 years we've been married, so you know it's cold! He wasn't too excited to get that fixed but he had to.

Not a lot has happened since my last post. Tuesday was coffee at our house. Usually, before our friends come over I have Drue put her blanket in a safe place, like on the steps going upstairs or on the laundry room counter. I didn't do that this week. When it came time to nap, we looked everywhere. I had already picked the house back up after the tornado of play group and didn't see it. So, I ran out to the Expedition to see if we left it there. I emptied out the toy boxes in the toy room, I went through all the laundry in the dryer thinking I accidently threw it in the wash, I even went through the garbage! Yeah, that's how important this blanket is! The whole time I was looking for it, I was getting sad thinking it was gone forever. I kept asking DD if she remembered where she had it last. She said, "Mom, just forget it, I'll get a new blankie!" I was shocked! I knew she couldn't possibly be serious, but she assured me she was. So, we picked out another blanket from our stock pile and she was content. Later that afternoon, we took our dog, Cash to the vet to be neutered. Well, Cash is DD's dog. The idea of him spending the night there did not go over well with her. When the nurse took his leash, Drue looked at me and just started crying. She sobbed...I mean SOBBED the entire way from Ackley to Eldora. Half way home I look back and she's asleep...then a whimper...then a full blast sob! I try comforting her, letting her know Cash is coming home, etc...then she yells ..."This blanket doesn't work in the car!!!" She was right! We got to Mom's and she was distracted by the toys and just a change of scenery so the blanket didn't come up again. When my mom got home DD wanted to go out and feed the dog with her, while she put her coat on she was jabbing about losing her blanket, the fun she had at play group, etc...then I hear an "UGGHHHHH!" I look up, she's smiling a big smile and holding up her little tattery blanket! He was in her coat pocket!!! PHEWWWW! All is good again!

Lane has had a cold the last 3 days. Runny nose and crabby. You can hear that his head is stuffed up. I'm sure it's terrible not being able to tell anyone what hurts. Plus, he can't eat well or nurse well because he has to hold his breath! He had fun Saturday morning playing with dog food on our back porch. He took it out of Cash's bowl, then lined it up on the floor and piled in on the toybox my dad built me when I was little, (we use it for outside toys and pop boxes) He sure was proud of his work. He didn't even try to eat it! Ryan's dad stopped over later that morning, I'm sure he wondered why we left spilled dog food all over...

I don't remember if I mentioned in the last post, but last Saturday, we showed the house again. It was to a couple who had been out twice before. Actually, the lady was the very first person to look at it back when we put it for sale. The showing went very well. It was very long, about 2 hours. Our realtor said she hasn't had a 2 hour showing for a long time...too bad for her, it was a very cold day! I guess they have some estimates to get, like siding and demolition of some out buildings and then they are going to get back to the realtor. Hopefully, they too, would put an offer on the house. All in good time. Actually, it wouldn't be bad if our house didn't sell until Ryan was home more to get some stuff cleaned up outdoors...It's all in God's hands.

Friday, Drue was an absolute angel! I am honest...I think it's the best day she's had since Dig was born. Maybe her bout with the terrible twos is coming to a close...no, she's not terrible, but yes...she's spoiled...how does that happen!?!?! :) She was just so good about saying please, thank you, being gentle with Dig, sharing...everything! Then Lane got feeling sick and after dinner I said, "you know, maybe it would be a good idea if, after our bath, we had some freezies." (you know...the snacks we'd buy at the pool...Mr. Freezes) Those are a huge hit year round in this house...Drue looked at me and said, "Mommy, I was talking to God that Digga's throat would be better and we'd get freezies!" I about melted! It's the first time she's mentioned talking to God privately. Such a great ending to a great day.

Dig received a Baby Hawkeye movie from Aunt Trudi at Christmas. It's like a Baby Einstein, but about sports played at U of I, yellow and black, numbers, marching band music, you get the picture...anyway, Lane LOVES it! I ask,"Dig, do you want to watch Dora or Go Hawks?" His reply is always, "hawk hawks!" Sounds a little like a pig oink, but I know what he means! Then he goes and gets the DVD case. He does the cutest, silliest dance when he hears the fight song and he screams like a girl when he sees I'm putting the movie in. Drue also loves the movie. She knows her ABC's so it's very fun for her to do the I-O-W-A ...Fight Hawks Fight cheer. Her Mommy and her like to pretend we're cheerleaders when we watch it! :)

Ryan and I went birthday shopping Sat. night. We found a Diego bike at KMart in Cedar Falls. She knew she was getting a bike but didn't know what kind. Ryan decided to give it to her today since he'd be gone on her b-day. He went out to the truck to get it after breakfast this morning. She didn't know what he was doing and was jabbering at me then turned around and saw the box and just froze...then came and held my leg, like she was scared of it. It's a little big, but Ryan chose the bigger one so she can grow into it this spring and summer. I also found Diego plates and napkins, she has no idea about them. Her party is Saturday, she'll probably be ticked at us for actually USING them...God forbid we get them dirty, or worse yet...throw them away! :)

Today, Drue helped me make potato soup and while I was doing something, she was standing on a chair up to the counter and took a bunch of the spices out from the cupboard and pretended to put them in a cup and stir them. She was talking to herself about what she was putting in, how much needed to go in "a half a cup of this it says," ...I hope not...it was garlic powder!...then she looked at me and said, "Mom, 'tend I'm Rachael Ray." She loves that girl! She'll sit and watch her some mornings and tell me she's pretty, Grandma thinks she's funny, etc... So, we pretended she was Rachael Ray. What a girl we have!

I caught myself just smiling today. ( I told you that's why I have these new wrinkles...or maybe I just grew dimples!) I was picking up pieces of sausage and toast off the floor from breakfast and just thought, "what a great life I have." I mean...Today, for example, it's cold outside, there's snow on the ground, inside, our home is nice and cozy, we had a warm breakfast, coffee was in the pot, the kids are (relatively) healthy, the house is clean, kids are playing, everyone was home, nothing major on calendar to do, nothing to complain about, no major worries.

Life is good. Praise God!

No comments: