Friday, March 19, 2010

Dumpster Diving

We got a little taste of Spring yesterday so Lane and I spent the afternoon outside.  We played football, baseball and on the swingset. I also decided to use the time to paint some new treasures! 

A couple weeks ago I saw a little white wooden table and a small white bench on the curb after our backyard neighbor moved out.  We had been at Mom & Dad's for dinner when I spied them... 

Ryan was completely mortified when I demanded he stop so I could grab the goodies.  Ok, it wasn't really dumpster diving, but curb collecting.  I didn't know what I would do with them, but I knew I had to have them. 

Yesterday, I washed them up and gave them a fresh coat of paint.  I had the blue mixed especially for the table, but the other paint I just had in the basement.  I have tons of paint!  I've painted our kitchen 3 times already and it will be 3 years ago we moved this May, so I used an orange (1st kitchen color) for the longer bench that I DID find in a dumpster at a sorority house back in 1999 at ISU.  The small bench I painted the red of our bedroom. 

After painting, I gave everything a coat of my all time favorite-always-gonna-have-some-in-my-house Ralph Lauren antiquing glaze in Tobacco.  Mmmm!  I just am in love with that stuff! Here's how things turned out..

The orange bench before antiquing glaze...being used as an 'auction table' by the kiddos!

This Robin Egg Blue table matches nothing in our house... and that is exactly why I love it!

The little red bench is currently holding our Easter Egg Tree in the living room.

The orange bench sits on our front deck.

While I was at it, I decided to paint our garden gate as well!

Now... I'm off to do the things I should have done yesterday....

4 comments:

Renee said...

Love all your projects! I'm going to have to check out the antiquing glaze - it sounds awesome! Glad you are posting more often - love reading about your adventures :)

Trudi said...

Great job, Kristy! I love that glaze look!!! I might have to remember that one.

Keturah said...

I love dumpster diving!!

The Perrys said...

You have some great finds. Good work! As you can imagine by the Goodwill stories, Brent would be mortified.