Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our Valentine's Day

I've never been too big on the whole Valentine's thing.  Don't get me wrong, I like getting flowers or chocolates or little notes...but I like getting all those things any day of the year.  There seems to be so much pressure associated with the big V-day.  As an adult, I don't get too excited about it, but I love making it a big deal for the kids!

We made cutout cookies... 

I made these "Sweetie Pies" as a special treat for my own Sweetie Pies!  They were so easy & looked so cute!  I used Grandma Mary's recipe for a double crust and it made 18 cutie-patootie little cherry pies.  I warmed up some of the leftover icing from the cookies and drizzled it over the pies when they came out of the oven...I think it made them taste a little more like a turnover...which technically, I consider a 'breakfast food'... at least I kept telling myself that this morning! 




 Both kids had their school Valentine's Day parties today.  I got to help with Lane's.  Those preschoolers know how to spread the love!  Dig got more hugs than I could count from those little girls... was about enough to make this Momma jealous!
Drue is a pie-lover...and these passed the test!


Ryan requested "breakfast-as-supper" that morning, which was completely shocking! He is usually totally against that idea.  He likes breakfast for breakfast and that's it! I have, however, started making breakfast foods, (omelets, pancakes, sausage, hashbrowns, egg sandwiches, egg bakes, French toast, etc...) after church on Sundays and he's been ok with it...maybe it's because I call it 'brunch?'  Mind games, mind games, whatever works, I say. 

I was all excited to make heart-shaped pancakes for everyone.  Go figure, my 'non-stick' pan is becoming less and less 'non-stick' so the hearts didn't really resemble hearts...which ended up not really mattering because Ry is the only one who eats pancakes other than me.

Actually, I think Ry suggested pancakes and eggs for supper thinking he was doing me a favor.  It sounds simple enough, but no matter what I do, big breakfasts seem hard for me to orchestrate.

I have a hard time getting things cooked at the right time.  The sausage is done, then make the pancakes, without having cold sausage.  Eggs have to be HOT for me so they are last minute, but by then the pancakes are cool or stuck to the pan and it seems like we each eat at different times...

I know he meant well...but my groaning must not have been hint enough to order out... and now I have the messy kitchen to occupy the rest of my day. 

Happy Valentine's Day to me.  =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, where is the picture of the heart shaped panccaies! teehee!

Our Life said...

Those pies look delicious!!!!!!

Trudi said...

I wanted to make those heart shaped sugar cookies this year but just didn't have the time. Those pies look delicious!