I thought it would be fun to share the story of how Ry and I met. I'm still amazed (but not surprised) how God placed Ryan in my life at just the right time. I was living back in Eldora and working at the bank. It wasn't my dream job, by any means, but it was a job. A "don't have to think about it, don't have to worry about it at home" kind of job. And, after the year I had just experienced and working as the Director of Social Services in a long-term care facility, it was just what I needed. Plus, I got to work with my Mom and bank hours aren't too shabby! I was in the data processing department, but I loved any chance I could get to work the teller line. I like people and I enjoyed interacting with the customers.
One day, a boy...well, I guess he was a man, walked through the East door. He was wearing a black hooded Carhartt sweatshirt, cowboy boots, jeans and a black Hawkeye baseball cap that was pulled down far, just like I like it...but I could still see his blue eyes.
"uh, could you tell me where I could find Clint?"
"yes, he's right over..." (Then I remember we were taught to never just point and tell the customer where to go...we needed to walk them to the office they are needing.) "Actually, just follow me, I'll take you to his office." (Turns out...that's a pretty good rule!!)
I remember thinking the whole time, which was a whopping 40 feet, "he's checking me out, he's watchin' my butt." Later, he informed me my thoughts were correct. I still remember what I was wearing, too. A short black skirt, black tights, and a lavender button up shirt. Truth be told...that outfit still hangs in my closet. I know it will never fit again, but I can't seem to part with it.
I returned to my window at the teller line and went about my business. This young farmer had come in to borrow money to buy calves...that should have been a red flag, I suppose. But hey, at least I didn't pick a guy off the over draft list!
Some time passes and that boy walks out the same door he came in. It was then I realized he was wearing Wranglers...if ya' know what I mean! =) Not two minutes after he left, the loan officer, Clint comes to my window.
"Who was that?"
"Funny you should ask. He was asking about you, too."
"nuh-uh."
"yup. And I gave him your phone number."
"What!?!? You did not! Oh my gosh!"
"His name's Ryan Luiken and he'll be calling."
"You are crazy! Why did you do that?!"
Well, the following night, Thursday, March 29, 2001, the phone rang. Dad answered. Mind you, I lived with my parents. I had a cell phone but it just wasn't that common to use for "regular" calls. Seems so weird now. Anyway, I'll remember the way his voice sounded that night, forever. The way he sounded kind of nervous but brave all at the same time. Infact, there are still times I hear him laugh in a certain way that takes me back to that first phone call. I don't remember much about the call but that he had been at the sale barn and purchased his calves that day, with that borrowed money. Then he had a few beers before he called...maybe a few too many.
The next night, this Ryan boy called again.
We talked for 4 hours.
About what?...I can't recall.
But we set up our first date. I'd meet him at his house in Steamboat (I wasn't quite sure how to get to Steamboat...seriously) Saturday night. Then, we'd head to Ackley to go to the Pony Express dance. (Happens to be the building Dig takes Karate in now!) I warned him that he best be waiting at the door so I didn't have to walk in to his house full of guys feeling like a fool. First, who in the right mind would agree to meet at the guy's house, knowing it was going to be only guys there? Dangerous! Drue will never!
Since I wasn't sure I knew how to get to Steamboat (yes, seriously!) I took a practice drive out earlier in the day. The Rock Stop looked vaguely familiar. Dad taught me how to drive the Jeep in Steamboat because it has lots of stop signs...and little traffic. =) I found his house and headed back to Eldora.
That evening, Saturday, March 31, I pulled up and walked in the big ol' farm house (that I would later share with this Ryan Luiken fellow). The first room I walked into, the porch, was a pit! There were beer cans piled as high as my armpits! At least that's how I remember it. I walk through the kitchen to the sound of Nelly's "Ride with Me." For my mom...it's a rap song. There sits 7 or 8 guys in Wranglers and cowboy hats listening to rap music. I remember thinking that was the funniest thing! But that's kind of 'our song' now.
We drove to Ackley and danced our hearts out. Ryan Dean can swing and tried to teach me the pretzel. We sat in a booth and talked and I remember he looked at me, mentioned my freckles and told his best friend, "Isn't she the cutest thing you've ever seen?"
That was it.
We've been together every since.
I don't think we went a night without seeing eachother. For sure not without talking. We went to several small town dances, bars, that kind of thing but most of our 'dates' were just spent at either of our houses.
About 4 weeks later, yes, 4 weeks, Ryan started talking about "buying a ring." I think he was feeling me out to see what my reaction would be. Would I freak? Would I say, not yet? Would I leave? I actually didn't think he was serious. But, he proved me wrong.
Five weeks after we met, on May 5, 2001, Ryan asked me to marry him in the living room of his house.
We went out that night to celebrate with some friends and called our parents from his big red Dodge truck. When he told his mom, I could hear her say, "well you guys better come over for dinner tomorrow then!" I hadn't met them before! It was different because he lived on his own. I still lived with my parents so he had met them.
The next day, I walk into the Luiken home and met my in-laws for the first time. Linda made delicious chicken enchiladas and her famous corn. I told them about myself and showed them the beautiful ring their son had given me. His mom and grandma have both told me that "everyone knew when Ryan found the right girl, it would be quick!"
They were right. Six months later I became MRSLUKE.
Looking back, five weeks sounds like a crazy-short amount of time...but the truth is...
He had me at the Hawekeye cap! :)
| Excuse my double chin or neck or whatever! This made me realize we need to take more pictures together! I think this is from 2009! |
5 comments:
That is an awesome story. ♥
so i got goosebumps reading this. so special!
I knew some of this story, but do not recall the part about FIVE weeks! A great love story. Happy engagement-anniversary.
What a great story!
AWWWWW...how sweet. I actually cannot picture my brother like that at all but glad he is. You two are perfect for each other!!!
Post a Comment