Last Monday morning DD couldn't find her mittens. I couldn't either. I went to check the car and on my way back in the house, I see what used to be a mitten on the garage floor. Cash the Dog was obviously bored and decided to destroy little DD's little mitten. She was not happy, which is not a good way to start a Monday morning in this house because if DD ain't happy, ain't no one happy! She panicked thinking she wouldn't get to play outside for recess because she didn't have an extra pair of water-proof mittens. She had gloves she could wear to school but I told her I'd check at the stores in town to see if they had any, but I knew our options would be limited this late in the winter...and Pamida doesn't open until 9 which is about the time Drue has her first outdoor recess. So, I thought I would run up to the nurses office, ask if Drue could borrow a pair of mittens until I got to Waterloo that Thursday. Roads were bad Monday and Tuesday and school got out early Thursday, I figured that would be a good day to go. I didn't tell DD that I was going to the nurses office. I knew she wouldn't want to wear the nurse's mittens. I don't know why, but she wouldn't. For T.T.T. we donated over 40 pairs of mittens, I didn't feel guilty asking at all, especially knowing they'd be returned. So...after dropping DD off at school on the East side, I drove around to the West side and in to the nurses office without her knowing. The nurse only had one pair of water-proof mittens left! They were a little small, but they'd work for a few days. I walked down and met DD at her locker. I didn't tell her where I got them, as far as she knew they were from a store...she tried them on,
"yes, they're a little small, but they'll work." Done deal. Not really. When I picked her up she was wearing her own gloves, I said, "did you just leave the waterproof ones at school?"
"No, I took them back to the nurse." "Why!? There aren't any waterproof mittens to be found in this town! And how'd you know they were the nurse's?!" She said she just knew... (ok, she probably did the math and knew I couldn't possibly have got anywhere to buy mittens.)
"But that's ok mom! Mrs. Hildreth has a pair of class mittens that I can wear for recesses I just have to give them back to her after every recess." Fine. Then the next day, she came home with "THE" mittens on.
"Mrs. Hildreth said I can keep them until we get to Waterloo." I cracked up! She'd rather wear bright red mittens that have "SCHOOL MITTENS" written in permanent marker on them, than borrow a pair from the nurse! That's not embarrassing?!? Anyhoo...Scheels had ONE pair of waterproof mittens left, luckily they were a girl style and DD's size.
Kindergarten Lesson Learned #67 Buy more than one pair of waterproof mittens yearly!
Silly...but I guess not shocking since we're talking about the same little girl who is embarrassed as all get out to pack a lunch even on days she knows she hates and will not eat what is for lunch, like hot dog & mac & cheese days. Those are the only days she would take her own lunch, but...
That's another story...we tried making things she liked and would eat...even butter/cinnamon/sugar sandwiches. She'd act all scared when I picked her up from school and would try explaining herself while crying,
"I just wasn't hungry mom." I explained I didn't care what she ate, I just didn't want her to be hungry.
"I just feel funny when I take a lunch because no one else does on the days I do." Um, that's because you don't eat 'kid' food darling. :) So, I tried to make it seem a little more fun and packed her a Subway kids meal a couple of times. It worked once. The second time she ran to her room after school and tried hiding the leftovers under her bed! We had a discussion and decided that she would prefer to no longer pack lunches, she'd just eat what she liked off the tray and on hot dog & mac & cheese days she may be asked to take a bite, but it won't kill her...at least not right away...then, I taught her the 'stir-it-up-a-little-bit-to-make-it-look-like-you-tried-it' trick... just in case...'cause that's what mom's do.
1 comment:
this is too funny! I will keep lesson #67 stored in my mind :)
Post a Comment