Thursday, May 13, 2010

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

This past weekend was DD's third dance recital! Oh my, did she do a GREAT job! You can really tell how much she loves to dance. Ryan and I couldn't stop talking about how much she's grown in dance this year. She got on stage full of smiles and barely had to look at her teacher in the wings for help. I'll always remember her first dress rehearsal. I wasn't sure how she'd react to being on the big stage with the lights and 200 people watching but as soon as her first dance was over she ran to me with her great big blue eyes and said, "MOM! I LOVE being on stage!" And that was it. She was hooked. It helps that her teacher, Ms. Amber loves to dance, too. She is a great teacher and has done a wonderful job exciting the girls about dance. I was lucky this year, I started helping Amber out with some of the 'behind-the-scenes'' things like making the recital program, lining up a videographer, getting some decorations, getting the girls to & from the stage, etc... It was SO fun and I am looking forward to helping her next year and many years to come, if she'll have me! After being in and student teaching dance for 13 years, it's my way of staying with it...without the need to be physically flexible...or wear a leotard! :) It was especially fun being back stage with Drue. What a special thing for us to share! Actually, it was quite the family event!   Drue came to rehearsal early, along with her brother & Nanny got everyone subs to eat. She stayed late. Nanny & Pa both helped with decorating.  Then the next day, DD went to the recital early to 'help' with last minute details and she couldn't get enough of it!  She loved being ther and must have thought she had some 'backstage pass' to a very big event! She had a very exhausting, but FUN weekend!

Drue and Campbell

Drue and her class had two songs. Miley Cyrus's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" for ballet/jazz and "I Wanna Be Like You" from the Jungle Book for tap. Drue adores tap. Just loves it and it showed! She was just having a blast on stage because she knew the dance and was confident performing. It was so neat to see her smiling and having fun up there!



After dance recitals we always have all of the family members who were able to attend come over to our house for a little, 'after-party.' Just like we did when I was in dance...sometimes we'd all go out for ice-cream. This year we had 14 over for root-beer floats & snickerdoodle cookies...it's always root-beer floats, the snack that accompanies them is different and always up to DD.

Drue and her friends, Ally, Campbell, Cadence, Aubrey & Madi


Drue got a bunch of beautiful flowers! She received bouquets from her brother, Nanny & Pa and Mimi & Rah-Rah. Her great-grandmas gave her little presents and some money for something special. She felt like a movie-star!

She l.o.v.e.d. this tap dance!

Us girls are already looking forward to next year's classes and can't wait to receive the DVD of this year's recital!
Definitely 'Cindy-Lauper-ish' costumes, I'd say!

Most of these pictures are from rehearsal...without make-up & her hair done...but she still looks so stinkin' cute!

Our first try at rollers & they were awesome!

After the 'after-party' with her flowers & balloons

With her proud brother






1 comment:

Trudi said...

Love seeing these pictures! Sometime when I'm home I want to watch the video!!!