Saturday, August 28, 2010

MiMi's Popcorn

Last Sunday the kids and I ran into Ryan's parents' house while Ryan was checking his calves there.  I smelled popcorn as I walked in and knew we interrupted supper.  Ryan's family grew up having popcorn for supper on most Sunday nights.  My dad grew up the same way.  I remember Grandma Mary serving popcorn, apples and homemade caramels on Sunday nights.  We've 'sort of 'adopted that tradition...we call it "Sunday Funday." This means the kids can eat pretty much anything they want for supper, maybe popcorn and apples or cheese/crackers and summer sausage.  Sometimes it's jalapeno poppers, pizza rolls and potato skins. Almost anything goes!  I also use Sunday Funday to clean out any leftovers in the fridge from the week...if they sound good to anyone, which, usually the 'snacky' stuff wins out. 

One Sunday night, Ryan said, "hey,when I was a kid mom used to put food coloring on the popcorn. Let's do that tonight."  You know by now that Dig loves any and everything colorful. It would be a great surprise.  So, that's what we did.  Popped the popcorn and sprinkled green food coloring over the buttery, salty goodness.  It was pretty cool, but I didn't think the color spread like it was supposed to. 

Linda's popcorn last Sunday night was also green...but the color covered the popcorn like a popcorn ball.  I knew right there that is what Ryan was talking about and we were obviously missing something!  I had her write down the recipe so we could enjoy some at home, too.  When Ryan walked in from his chores he said, "See!  I told you mom made colored popcorn!"  I showed him there was a little more than just food coloring involved and we had a good giggle.  "Well, to a little boy you could see how I thought it was just food coloring." ...except for the sweet, sticky sugar taste, I guess.  =)

Tonight, after supper, the kids and I made our very first batch of "MiMi's Popcorn!"  Dig chose BLUE!  It was so, so, so, YUMMY!  It will be so fun in snack mixes & May Baskets!!


You should try it!


I used a half cup of unpopped corn in our air-popper...
3 T.  Water
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 T. Butter
Boil- then add food coloring, stir & ENJOY!

4 comments:

Renee said...

Yum, I'll have to try this! We are Sunday night popcorn people, too. Another REALLY good popcorn is to pop your corn, then put it in a cake pan or on a cookie sheet and put large marshmallows on top and then pop it under the broiler just until the marshmallows start to poof up...then mix it up. Yumm-o!

R5 said...

looks yummy! Sunday night was always popcorn night at our house when I was growing up too! my husband looks at me like I'm a weird O when I told him that! glad to hear I wasn't the only one!

Trudi said...

Memories. Thanks for the recipe. That is one I don't have.

Balvanz Family said...

Love this idea! Except we have popcorn with m & m's like 3 times a week!!! ; )