Friday, April 27, 2012

Night Owl

DD loves to read.  She reads all.the.time.  She reads at least one chapter book a week.  Sometimes, two.  This week...FOUR!  When Drue reads, she wants it quiet.  Like, not a peep, quiet.  Like, "turn down the t.v. DAD!" quiet and "don't talk, DIG!" quiet. 

Well, last night she couldn't find a place in the house that was quiet enough.  I should clarify.  The fun places that I suggested weren't good enough or too far away from me or too scary.  The boys were watching the NFL draft in the living room.  I was cleaning the kitchen and doing dishes.  DD was now in tears because she needed to read! And truth be told, it was 8:15 p.m. and she was getting tired.  She had already read for at least an hour since coming home from school.

I suggested her bedroom...too far from the kitchen, too many windows, too scary at dark. 
I suggested making a nest out of blankets in the kitchen...evidently, I wash dishes too loudly.
I suggested sitting on a basement step...nope.
The sectional in the family room downstairs?...not havin' it.
How about MY bed?...mmm.no.

Outside?
"Ok."
Seriously, like it's not dark and scary OUTSIDE?? whatevs.   

Mind you, it's 8:20 p.m. and 50 degrees out, if that. 
So I made the nest of blankets in a chair on the front porch and the girl read out there for 25 minutes!
She knocked on the door and mouthed "I need a hat."

Her ears were cold.  But she got her book finished.  Fourth one of the week!


Dig with his popsicle, wondering, "what in the world?"



2 comments:

Renee said...

oh to be a fly on YOUR wall! :) Too funny that being outside is less scary than being inside!

beauty queen's mama said...

Dig made me laugh out loud! Like "it's HOTT in here, DD...you should check out the popsicles!" ha!