Lane, Friday after school: "Mom! Monday is somebody's birthday. A gray guy, I think."
*Side note: No, Lane does not say African-American. Since he was 3 he has differentiated people with darker skin than his by saying the color of skin. Who knows why he doesn't say brown. He's always had trouble deciphering gray and brown. Maybe he's color-blind? Maybe he doesn't know his colors? I get why he doesn't say black. Skin doesn't look black, like the color black he knows. Anyhoo. He is in no way trying to hurt someone's feelings by saying they have gray skin. You get what I mean.
Lane: "His name was Martin LUIKEN King, Jr. and I know what he did! Gray people couldn't go into certain stores...and he made it so they could. They couldn't ride on school buses...and he made it so they could. They couldn't go to school with kids who had white skin...he made it so they could.
Then a naughty guy shot him with a gun. Not tomorrow, not tomorrow, but the next tomorrow...is his birthday and we get to read two new books about him at school!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment