Seriously, I'm pretty sure I have the best parents in the world. And nothing makes me happier than watching them interact with my kids. I see how much they love Drue and Lane which makes me truly understand how much they love me and my brothers. I remember, pre-children, my mom telling me that I won't fully comprehend how much she and Dad love me until I had my own kids. She was right. I am so blessed with wonderful parents who have (thanks to me, I may add!) become wonderful, loving, fun GRANDparents!
Oh, the things my kids can get my parents to do!
Nanny will make play-dough on any given day when asked by Digga Dean. She'll also use an entire bag of powdered sugar to make frosting in every color of the rainbow...just for Dig to admire, maybe not even use. She voluntarily sits on her bed and lets DD tickle (more like choke!) her, cackeling so loud we make them shut the door now. She goes through her jewelry box, explaining each piece, letting DD wear anything she wants. She calls to see if the kids can 'come over and play' if she knows I have something I need to do that would be a little easier without two monkeys. She can't say no to the kids. She picks up things at the store for us, like Tide, or Mr. Freezies just because. She always helps the kids make Mother's Day and Father's Day gifts. She can talk me through anything and always reassures me when I need it. She knows me better than I know me. I love her and can't live any farther away from her than I already do...exactly 2 backyards! She's the Nanny every kid needs.
Pa crawls around on his hands and knees pretending to be any animal the kids demand. Favorites are an elephant and a horse. But, magically, when you feed him, he'll change into other animals! He endlessly attempts to bite noses, even has the kids so they can tell in his voice when he says, "hey, I need you to come over here..." they are about to get a nose bitin' and they willingly go. He unsuccessfully tries to count every single freckle on DD & Dig's noses, "1, 2, 3, 4, 89, 123, 458, 1092" then the kids break out laughing like he's just told the funniest joke ever. He passes out dollars for pool snacks. He makes home-made jump ropes, stocks the cupboard with chocolate and makes everyone laugh. He keeps and cares for bottle calves, just so the kids have 'something to pull around' and doesn't complain when he ends up doing all the work. He makes excuses to come in from the farm in the middle of the afternon, when he knew my car needed a jump. He pays me to do his 'bookkeeping' just because he doesn't want me to ever think that being a stay-at-home mom isn't enough. He's the man I've loved the longest. He's the Pa every kid needs.
Obviously, there's more...but they already know that. I love you Mom and Dad!
1 comment:
ohhhh, this is a wonderful post :) I don't believe there's anything better in the world than grandparents! Love the freckle counting story!
Post a Comment