Last night, as I was rocking Drue to sleep, (I usually rock both of our babies to sleep everynight, occasionally, DD will fall asleep on the couch or with her Daddy, or wait to fall asleep in bed with us,) anyway...when she was younger, I would say, "let's talk." We'd talk about what we were going to do the next day, kind of a run down of tomorrow. I was a way to rock, talk quietly and look in eachother's eyes. Then there were nights when DD would climb on my lap and say, "Talk Mommy." We still do that... So. Last night I asked her, "what should we do tomorrow?" Her reply..."pick-up." She said this not because the house was a pit. Actually, it was picked up, not cleaned, but picked up. She said it because I say it every night! That's always on my 'list to do' no matter the condition of our house. My heart broke. I looked at her and asked, "is that what Mommy always says?" Yup. So, I decided then and there that I was not going to say that again and I was making sure that today we did NO picking up! This is a saying my Mom cross-stitched and gave to me for my first Mother's Day...
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow
For babies grow up, we learn to our sorrow.
So, quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
I try to live up to this everyday...I know my babies are growing so quickly...I don't want to miss anything because I'm cleaning my house, there will always be something to clean, yes, even years from now when my kids are away from home, I will have things to dust, floors to sweep, laundry to fold...so...I want my kids to remember me taking them to the pool, the park, reading books, going on walks, singing songs,picking flowers, coloring, doing DD's hair, playing ball with Dig, catching lightning bugs.....all the good "MOM" stuff...not putting ANYTHING before my kids, not saying, " I need to clean this or vacuum this before we can go or before I can play with you..." Nope! Not gonna be that kind of Mom! My Mom always did that for us, we knew...and know, that we come first. She still tells us that! =)
We had a wonderful day! No major meltdowns, a beautiful, breezy morning. We played outdoors before lunch. Drue wanted cottage cheese, and tator-tots for lunch...so that's what she got! No nap either...don't get me wrong, she needed one but wasn't going to give in. We watched a 40 minute Baby Einstein movie three times in a row...still no snoring baby! Then she wanted a snack...She wanted a kiwi...one kiwi is never enough for her...you need at least 2, sometimes 3! So, I went to the silverware drawer and got the knife, turned around, used my big ol' hips to slam the drawer shut and heard it stop like something was stuck in it, I looked down and saw Drue looking up at me with that "Mommy, How could you do this to me?" look and then she started to cry...hard! I felt terrible. My knees get weak thinking about it. I had shut her entire little hand in the drawer! Ick. She's not good about boo-boos anyway. There was no blood or cuts, but she isn't forgetting it. However, she did tell me before bed, "Mommy, owey all better now!" Phew.
After dinner, Ryan was looking through a cookbook I had in the living room. I was working on the month's menu and he started asking me if I had certain ingredients..vanilla? frozen orange juice? That was a no. So then he asked Drue if she wanted to go to Eldora with him and get some. He had found a recipe for Orange Julius and thought it sounded good. So...DD ran to the door, ran back to me and said..."Mom, right back, ok?" They were gone about 8 minutes...I knew something was wrong...Drue came running in to me and just sat on my lap with her brother. Ryan said they got to the highway and he looked back and Drue's eyes were all teared up and when he asked what was wrong, she started to cry and say she wanted to go home. So at the first possible place he turned around...(for those of you who know the area, it was the gravel right before Cory Schurman's!) They didn't get very far and Ryan didn't get his orange julius! He felt bad for her and came home. She was just so tired from not taking a nap and forgot her plug and blanket at home. See...they DO miss me! =)
A Cozy Slow Autumn: Tea & Treats
5 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment