Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Summer colds! Ick!

So...isn't it August? Well, Drue woke up this morning with a cough and eventually added a runny nose and glassy eyes. By the end of the day Lane was coughing some, too. Ughgh. I hate it when the kids are sick, but am thankful it is something medicine can resolve. I can't imagine living in "Laura Ingalls' days" and not having medicine for colds/fevers. I would have been a nervous wreck. (I am anyway)

Drue had her hair cut this morning in Wellsburg. It is now really short in back, kind of stacked and then gradually longer in front, angled toward her face. It looks kind of like mine did when Lane was born. She looks really cute with it tucked behind her ears. She's cute ANY way! :) After the haircut we picked up her friend Campbell and brought her to our house to play for the day. She was tired and Drue wasn't feeling that hot, so it really wasn't that fun of a day, I suppose. Campbell was thinking, "the last time I came here, I went home and there was a new baby! and why is Mommy at home with Aubrey and Madi, and I'm here!?!" I ran my fingers through her hair and got caught on a curl,(those of you who know her know how CURLY she is!!) I'll have to post a picture! Anyway, she looked at me like I had just ripped her hair out and RAN for the door and tried to leave, all the time crying, "Go Mommy's house!" She must have thought I did it on purpose and that I was going to abuse her all day. Poor girl. I felt terrible. After lunch we played outside for over an hour, everyone was in a much better mood and my Dad (Pa) and Uncle Shawn stopped over to drop off an iron plant stand I had Dad make for me. It's like a tri-pod with 3 terracotta pots, biggest on the bottom, smallest on top...I love it! Can't wait to show it off, Dad should sell them! :) It's awesome having such a crafty Dad and brother. They can literally make me anything I want if I can show them a picture! Wood, metal...welding, a deck, a play yard fence...can't think of anything my Dad (or Mom and the boys) wouldn't do for me...or at least try really hard to! :) They're all so 'crafty!'

Campbell was glad to be home, Drue was thinking it would be fun to stay at the James' and play though. She fussed, "DD like that house better, stay at Campa's." We met Mom at the same hairdresser that Drue was at earlier in the day. Then since Ryan was going to be late we went and ate supper with my folks. My Grandma Mary stopped in around 8 and brought us yummies from her garden.Can't wait to taste them!! Several freshly picked onions, potatoes, tomatoes and apples...I'm going to surprise my hard working husband with something "appley" tomorrow, apple crisp or an apple pie...oh...that reminds me of a story...should I start it now? Nah..ok...yeah!

The Fall right before Ryan and I got married...ok, who am I kidding, Ryan and I only knew eachother 5 wks. before getting engaged and got married 6 mos. later...so there was only ONE Fall before we got married, (IF Drue ever thinks that would fly with HER father...she has another thing comin'!) Anyway...when the apples on the tree at (then it was) Ryan's house were ready, I said, "oh, I should make you an apple pie." He was like, "YOU know how to make apple pie, etc..." I lied, "sure, yeah, who me? Of course! Don't ALL 24 year olds know how to make apple pie?!!" Unfortunately, he got all excited. So, I had to make him an apple pie. No, I had to learn to make an apple pie...quick! I told my Mom my situation and she helped me but when Ryan came over to taste it, would say things like, "isn't that how you always make your crust, Kristy?" etc... I eventually told him the truth, but he married me anyway...must have been a pretty good first try! :) I also have pictures of me making that pie and Ry tasting it. All these pics. to post! :) I don't know if I should try a pie on my own...I have since made a gooseberry pie for my Grandpa Harold's 85th birthday...I couldn't get the crust right and called my Mom crying. She came over and helped me, actually, she just watched me, I just needed someone there for "mental support!" Grandpa said it was the BEST gooseberry pie he has ever had! That was 4 yrs. ago. I think he deserves another one, better do that for him one of these days, huh?!

Well, I tricked DD into taking her cough medicine by putting it in a little shot glass of orange pop. Ok, I didn't trick her...I TRIED to trick her...she figured me out. But I got it down her at least! That won't work tomorrow though! ;) We'll see how often I'm up with coughing kids tonight!

Special Note: Please keep my best friend's family, especially, daughter, Suzy, in your prayers. Thursday at 1:45 she undergoes another surgery to fix the shunt in her head. And praise God that she will be turning 2 on August 17!! =)

No comments: